Obama, Republicans Seek $23 Billion Disability Pay Cut

Republicans have attempted to cut veterans compensation and other disability benefits 3 times this year. First, Michelle Bachmann (MN) suggested disabled veterans had it too good. She thought disability pay should be reduced by $4 billion. Later, Paul Ryan (WI) suggestion gutting VA Healthcare by $6 billion, which would have cut 1.3 million veterans out of the program.

Now, aligned with the President, Republicans are again attempting to cut veterans benefits. This time, they want to cut $23 billion over 10 years, dwarfing the initial cuts proposed earlier this year.

Last week, the Congressional Republicans and President Obama warned that if a new debt ceiling is not reached, veterans’ pay and Social Security pay would be threatened. In addition, President Obama and Republicans also proposed a new inflation index. The index would cut disability pay by $23 billion over 10 years.

Currently, the traditional Consumer Price Index (CPI) is said to increase with the rate of inflation. The new chained CPI is said to reduce payments during economic downturns to reflect spending during that period.

The theory rests on the assumption that consumers buy cheaper goods during hard times. Instead of buying Heinz 57, maybe you buy Generic Catsup. Since the consumer spends less money, they need less money. Therefore, if the consumer needs less money, then the amount of money they receive from Social Security of Veterans Disability should be less.

The govenrment is mainly looking to increase “savings” and “revenue.” However, it seems the media allows government to point to the poor for sacrifices while continuing to pay out large amounts of dollars in tax benefits to the “job creators.” Ironically, there are no jobs despite large payouts and tax incentives for companies like GE, Textron and friends. Yes Mr. Obama, where are those shovel ready jobs?

Sadly, our country always seems to look at the downtrodden and disadvantaged to make the most sacrifices during hard times. Disabled veterans were asked to sacrifice themselves for the betterment of every American. All the while, political marienettes at the behest of their puppet masters continually turn to this group to sacrifice even more.

Meanwhile, Republicans like Michelle Bachmann and Paul Ryan want “job creators” to pay no taxes at all. Is this not the most insane bunch of politicians yet?

Paradoxically, Bachmann was a federal tax lawyer and considers herself to be a job creator. So, while taxing the hell out of the little guy, small businesses and middle class people, she helped wealthy Americans create jobs like McDonalds burger flipper and Walmart cashier.

Congressional Budget Office: “Using a Different Measure of Inflation for Indexing Federal Programs and the Tax Code.” Pg. 5.

NY Times: “Democrats Oppose Talk of Cuts to Social Security”

Voc Rehab Survival Guide Benjamin Krause is an award winning investigative reporter, Veterans Benefits Law attorney, and disabled veteran of the US Air Force, where he served in its Special Operations Command. He attended Northwestern University and  the University of Minnesota Law School using VA Vocational Rehabilitation.

While in law school, Benjamin won his decade-long fight for full disability benefits and now helps others do the same with this website and his guide, the Voc Rehab Survival Guide for Veterans. Since its first publication in 2011, the guide has helped the veteran community receive millions in untapped benefits through the VA Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment program.

Connect with Benjamin on  Google+,  Twitter,  Facebook and LinkedIn.

Comments

1. D. Digiola says

My God. The whole world is looking at how our leadership is treating the working class. As we have so much internal conflict we are letting our guard down as a nation. Our guard is our military defense and financial defense. We make our country vulnerable to the evil in other countries to include our bordering neighbors. These budget cuts only signal to other countries that it is okay to weaken our walls of defense.
    Veterans, are all in the same boat regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, specialty, gender, etc. name calling only shows lack of knowledge. If we would band together and influence citizens to vote for prior service personnel, then maybe the veteran’s will be taken care of properly.
    Any and all politicians down to the city officials all have a responsibility to take care of the ones who protect our freedom. If they have had no experience doing that, when they make policies they forget about the ones at the end of poverty line, which government has mandated at under $15K. You can’t live on minimum wage even without kids.
    Well, I am long winded. May God Bless America and encourage those in leadership roles be as protective of the rights founded for this country. I pray for all veteran’s to be taken care of properly like we veteran’s have helped protect this nation.

• gordy threehorses says

if the world were truly civilized there wouldn’t be any need for a military, but since it is not, the least the government could do is to take car of us vets who have had our bodies and minds ruined fighting for your bs policies.

• Steve says

#1- If You Take Notice of The Source that says “Obama Aligned With Republicans” It is The NEW YORK TIMES,. Now owned By Rupert Murdoch , The Owned of FOX news,, So That tells yo It is Tainted, #2- The Actual report said That If GOP forced cuts by threatening to default on debt ceiling, Then those Cuts would take effect, Ass All of America and The world are aware, Obama was Fighting to Pass the new debt ceiling, to Pay Our Bills and NOT allow our economy and good credit to take another hit from Republicans,.. Sucks that So Many just Miss these Facts and Blame those trying to help them!

2. Marine says

America, USA is not a country anymore to help the veterans of any war, you are just a pay cut, of whether you have lost your limps, or life, the founding fathers to protect us or dead or in rest homes, patriotism is fine of patriotic Americans who still believe in the system. Send your sons or daughters off to war, and collect them, anyway the war, has made them. The VA will kill them off waiting for services, its always been this way, your service serve is acknowledge, by your broken limbs in a wheel chair, the civilian community does what it can for the Wounded Warrior, but the Military Whom you served should be responsible. The most word that is use we think you for your service. Of what war were there and invasion on Americas soil, are was it some where else. Semper Fi., for these created wars that that shouldn’t have never happen in the first place. Let Politician fight these wars, instead of patriotic Americans, who is no longer fighting for there Country, but others according to orders, for ever cause the Military deem correct by Congress.

3. ablackbearx says

I am a disabled vet also, I was injured and in a wheel chair. how am I suppose to support my family with out being abled to work. I can not stand or sit long or even lay down for a long periods of time. so answer that so called government, my wife works but not enough money rolling in for she only gets min. wage. I am worried all those vets and disabled people should be concerned. and I am not the only one who thinks this..

4. Xavier says

I am a verteran, but I do believe that this program is being abused by other veterans. I have seen verterans and retirees claiming 60% + disability doing extreme sports and running marathons and triathlons. It should be looked at like our welfare system. FRAUD, WASTE AND ABUSE***********

• mike says

all these obamanigger cocksuckers should suck arab dick. fuck them I didn’t get severance while I was knocked off temporary disability retired list I really want to shoot nigger boy up his manpuss

• kennth says

yes some do how ever!!!! many people like myself don’t abuse the system . the problem with this cuts is it effects ever one. I say congress and senators and all elected plus the Obama and the vice prisd take a 40% pay cut and 40% benfit cut then the can come the vets.

5. gordy threehorses says

god and the soldier all men adore, in times of war but not before, but when the war is over, and all things righted, god is forgotten and the soldier is slighted.

6. robert vann wilson says

theones that put their lifes on the line got shot all to hell why doesn’t our nation demand that the gov increace our disabilty pay 3 times or more so we can live a good life insteda on the poverty line the gov can eaily afford it they bailed the fatcats/banks/cooperations out no problem giveing the politicans a nice salary/benifits they don’t earn quit the giveing away/foreighn aid/ andthe other freebees all over the wourld /stop the wars i like alot of the rest am 140%+ disabled we just srape by on what we get from the gov like feeding a starveing dog scraps when the gov uses you and they are through with you they abuse you nobody will argue that

7. Teaparty_usa says

Dumb hippy commies…Bachman woukd be a better American president than Obama.. We dont beleive in facts , we just dont like blacks…If it wasnt for the good grace of God & fox news to tell it like it is..

• John says

Idiot. You speak well for yourself. You say “We don’t believe in facts.”
      People receiving entitlements spend this money and this supports the economy. Republican congressmen want that money going to the rich (the even speak of “no taxes” for them).
      The rich simply hoard this money as well as put it in overseas tax shelters. This does Nothing for the economy!!
      Rep. are part of the equation; they don’t want to pay taxes equal to what we all pay. This is their true interest: greed.

8. orey says

ok i stumbled on this bolg…i am a very serious patriot..are we going to rise up to another revolution or will you folks just let out a lot of hot air? i am a vet and i am ready to go to arm but is this blog just bullshit or are you pepole heade for the next revolution to get us out from under this tyronny? if you want to fight i will be all in and fight until the end to save our country. if you are just bs let me know and i go to hmmm brazil? Please believe me if you are ready to retake our once wonderful nation i am a vietman 101st warrior….lets gets it done or stfu…which??

9. orey says

hehe ready here in the great state of TEXAS…OK YABAMAMA lets get it on and see who wins we are Texans ans hehe we Got the whole military behind us!! an yepper we all got guns ans WILL NEVER GIVE THEM UP!! we had a saying in the bullshit war you sent me to in southeast asia from whit I hmmm learned a LOT!! HOMEBOY WE BE IN TEXAS! “COME GET YA SOME BIATCH!!”

10. Orey Hebert says

i am lmao…do they know whho has all the guns? I really think some one need th tell the IDIOTA in washington that the military has ALL THE GUNS…come on folks do you really think the government is ready to take on the military? LMFAY!! yobama hey homeboy we got the guns and beyond that i am from Teaxs so ruk roe…come get them!!

11. diehl says

I SAY LETS GET A PHONE NUMBER FOR ALL VETERANS TO CALL FROM ALL ACROSS THE NATION AND GET ALL VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS TO COME TOGEATHER AND DEFEAT THE REAL ENEMY. I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THE REAL ENEMY IS THE U.S. GOVERNMENT THAT ARE NON U.S. MILITARY. NOT IRAQ OR AFGANISTAN. THE REAL ENEMY IS HERE AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN.. THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WHO DIS RESPECT SOLDIERS,MARINES,SAILORS, AND AIRMAN. I HAVE WITNESSED SO MANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND POLITICIANS DIS RESPECT THE U.S. MILITARY. ITS TIME TO LET THEM KNOW THAT WE GIVE THEM THEIR RIGHTS.

• fcdiehl says

TALKING ABOUT IT HAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER PRODUCE RESULTS….ACTIONS ARE WHAT MUST BE DONE. THIS IS THE BIGGEST MISSION FOR ALL MILITARY PERSONELL AND U.S. VETERANS EVER KNOWN TO MAN KIND. ACTION IS THE MISSION. DONT LET THEM TAKE OUR BENEFITS WHILE THEIR FAMILIES AND KIDS DRIVE BMW’S AND PORCHE’S. AND YOUR KIDS CANT AFFORD COLLEGE AND DONT EVEN HAVE A CAR.

• Orey says

281-831-4399…lets gets it done…i will not allow theses bastards to tkae the country i shed blood for and my dad shed blood for!!

• Gydyn Black says

I’m with all of you… I have a friend of mine whose a Vietnam War Veteran, and he told me flat out sooner or later there very well may be a civil war again. We call the French pussies but they had no problem yanking good ol King Louise from the throne where he lost everything from the neck up. You bastard politicians had better pull your heads out of your asses and stop trying to fuck over the very people who sacrificed for the very rights you sons of bitches keep stripping away from the American people. Maybe it’s time to stop talking, my fellow Veterans, and start organizing. I was at Walter Reed Army Hospital. There was a young man whose family came down to pick him up because they were informed he signed off on his rights and that he wanted to go home. Funny thing though; he had a bullet in the back of his skull and could barely speak let alone pick up a pen to sign his name. I was on guard duty on the recovery ward, I saw it and spoke to this mans family myself. That was when Bush was in office in 2005. Now what sick, sadistic cock sucker under orders made that phone call to that young mans parents? By the way, he was barely eighteen. If our government wants to start shit overseas, then they had better be prepared to take care of the young men and women who suffered for their dirty little cause.

12. yankeetexjoe says

HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SLEEPING AT NIGHT…..I AM A DISABLED VETERAN THAT HAD NO HESATATION GOING TO WAR FOR OUR FREEDOM AND YOU WANT TO CUT OUR PAY FOR SERVING THIS COUNTRY!  DO YOU KNOW WHAT WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH FOR OUR COUNTRY? MAYBE Y’ALL SHOULD GO OVER THERE YOURSELF & SEE WHAT WE HAD TO ENTAIL AND THEN COME BACK TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE….NO SUCH THING WHEN YOU SEE WHAT WE ALL HAVE SEEN! WHAT THE HELL WHY DON’T YOU CUT YOUR PAY INSTEAD OF OURS SO WE ARE ABLE TO KEEP OUR HOMES INSTEAD OF LANDING OUT ON THE STREETS. YOU ALL STAND IN FRONT OF AMERCIA STATING THAT VETERANS DESERVE MORE HELP & DESERVE MORE THAN WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN? ONE QUESTION FOR YOU…WHERE THE HELL IS THE HELP? GOD BLESS ALL THE MEN & WOMEN SERVING OR HAVE SERVED, THAT HAVE COME HOME & TO THE ONES THAT DID NOT! YOUR NOT FORGOTTEN  ^j^

• Scott says

this article is somewhat bs. Yes President obama has wanted to walk on vets for years, I am a disabled vet and yes Ive felt the pain of his cuts, but blaming republicans come on get real why dont you do a fact check on this one, who was in office when veterans started getting disability, RFepublicans, and for recent years lets not forget all the pay raises the bush years gave us just so our worthless president of today could freeze it for 2 years, lets not forget our gov workers either who most of them are now veterans who have had there pay frozen for over 2 years and cost of living frozen for over 3 now with a hope that in march we will have a.5% raise after 3 years of nothing. and in case you didnt know not all of these are congress in fact most of this is what is called presidential mandate. get educated people.

13. Storm says

I love this country and served it with great pride. Now, that my injuries have reached a point of being totally disabling I applied for a was awarded compensation in very short order. Now, after only one year I am told my check will be cut by half. mmm I wish I could give back half the bullet holes in my body, reclaim the half of a kidney I let on a hillside in Nam, reclaim my total hearing. Well, think about it. They took that all away from me, so now if when I need income, if they dont want to give pay to me, they should give my whole body back. Thanks Obama.

Trackbacks